Ceramic Kitchen Tiles for Ottawa Homes
Why do so many homeowners and interior designers opt for ceramic kitchen tiles? Ottawa home decorating outlets have noticed a trend toward ceramics in recent years, and it’s easy to see why. Although many homeowners prefer natural stone, ceramic tiles also have many attractive benefits to offer. The advantages of ceramic kitchen tiles include:
- Durability. Ceramic tile is tough, and wears well under almost every condition. Many years ago, ceramic tiles were less hardy, but in recent decades improvements to the way tile is produced and manufactured have resulted in greatly improved durability. In particular, new glazing methods have increased the life of ceramic tile.
- Variety. Ceramic tile can be found in every colour of the rainbow, from subtle neutral tones to vivid saturated hues. It’s available in various sizes, shapes, and textures. Some ceramic tile is patterned. You can mix and match different types and styles and sizes, or use unusual layouts to create unique effects. You can put ceramic tile on walls, on floors, or on countertops. The possibilities for design are endless! As well, colour on ceramic tiles is permanent. Even exposure to direct sunlight will not cause tiles to fade.
- Easy Maintenance. Tiles on the floor can be swept or vacuumed, damp mopped, or washed. Countertops and walls can be wiped with a damp cloth. Because they are so easy to clean, ceramic tiles are hygienic, and are suitable for allergy sufferers or people with compromised immune systems.
- Slip Resistance. Unlike other types of tiles, ceramic tiles are specifically manufactured to be slip-resistant, by adding abrasive grit to the glaze or texture to the surface. Textures include ribs, studs or an “orange peel” finish.
- Moisture Resistance. Ceramic tiles are a great choice for use in wet areas. Porcelain tiles are particularly water resistant.
- Wear Resistance. Ceramic tiles are often the choice for businesses, since these tiles wear well even when foot traffic is heavy.
- Safety. Ceramic tiles are fire resistance, and do not off-gas dangerous chemicals. These tiles are a safe choice for your home or business.
- Value. Ceramic tiles are less expensive than stone ones, yet they’re much more attractive than cheaper floor coverings or countertop materials.
How to Choose Ceramic Tiles
The best way to choose tile is to visit .one of Ontario’s better stone and ceramic tile suppliers. A family-owned company that’s been in business for several years is a good choice, since many of these companies are knowledgeable about types of tiles and where they’re best suited. Hardware chain stores and other big box operations can’t possibly provide the kind of service that specialists in stone and tile are able to offer.
Ceramic tiles are rated for various properties. The PEI scale rates tiles from 0 to 5 to indicate whether tiles may be used in heavy traffic areas (Class 5) or whether they’re suitable for light traffic areas such as main bathrooms or bedrooms (Class 2) or whether the tile is intended for wall use only (Class 0).
Investigate your options today, and revitalize your home with the beauty of ceramic tile!